Albertine Prize Book Battle
Join us for Albertine’s first-ever Battle of the Books – moderated by Strategic Director of House of Speak Easy Paul W. Morris — where three prominent members of New York’s literary community will go head-to-head to defend their favorite work of contemporary French literature from the Albertine Prize selection!
Our guest “Literary Champions” will be determined by popular vote when the three Albertine Prize finalists are announced on April 14.
The ten Albertine Prize nominees and their corresponding literary champions are as follows:
- Kaiama L. Glover on Eve out of her Ruins, by Ananda Devi (trans. by Jeffrey Zuckerman, Deep Vellum)
- Adam Hocker on Naked, by Jean-Philippe Toussaint (trans. by Edward Gauvin, Dalkey Archive Press)
- Patrick McGrath on Ladivine, by Marie NDiaye (trans. by Jordan Stump, Knopf)
- Tom Roberge on Bardo or not Bardo by Antoine Volodine (trans. by J. T. Mahany, Open Letter Books)
- Nicole Rudick on Suite for Barbara Loden, by Nathalie Léger (trans by Natasha Lehrer and Cécile Menon, Dorothy, a publishing project)
- Sam Sacks on The Heart, by Maylis de Kerangal, (trans by Sam Taylor, Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
- Sam Sacks on Infidels, by Abdellah Taïa (trans. Alison L. Strayer, by Seven Stories Press)
- David Samuels on Constellation, by Adrien Bosc (trans. by Willard Wood, Other Press)
- Alexandra Schwartz on The Little Communist Who Never Smiled, by Lola Lafon, (trans. by Nick Caistor, Seven Stories Press)
- Liesl Schillinger on Couple Mechanics, by Nelly Alard (trans by Adriana Hunter, Other Press).
Audience members are invited to join in the conversation!
In English. Free with RSVP. RSVP here.